James M. Reid, IV is a shareholder, Executive Committee member, Co-Chairman of the firm's Corporate/Employment Practice Group, and member of the Franchise and Distribution Practice Group. Mr. Reid works mainly with employers on a spectrum of employment issues including counseling and advising human resource professionals and business owners. He develops and improves employment policies and contracts, handbooks, employment agreements, non-competes, non-disclosure agreements, and unconditional release and separation agreements. Mr. Reid often provides legal assistance to employers in litigation, arbitration and administrative proceedings, including the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Michigan Department of Civil Rights, state and federal Departments of Labor, and the Unemployment Insurance Agency. He also assists employers with federal and state wage and hour audits.
Mr. Reid is a frequent local and national presenter on a wide range of employment topics. Along with providing regular advice and counsel to clients, he conducts tailored trainings for staff, management, and executive teams to guide them through the landmines and best practices for hiring, managing, and separating employees. He has also written several articles on topics including strategies for updating employee handbooks and successfully challenging claims for unemployment benefits.
Mr. Reid joined the firm as a summer associate (clerk) in 2004. He received a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science-Prelaw, cum laude, from Michigan State University in 2002 and his Juris Doctor, cum laude, from Wayne State University Law School in 2005. While at law school, Mr. Reid was an associate editor of the Wayne Law Review.
Mr. Reid has been elected Labor and Employment Law Section Council for the State Bar of Michigan and is a member of its Labor and Employment Law Section e-News Committee. He serves as the Director-Elect and Director of Resource Partners at the Michigan Society of Human Resources Management (SHRM). Previously, Mr. Reid was the Chair of the Oakland County Bar Association’s Employment Law Committee. He currently serves on the Advisory Board of Wayne State University Law School's Master of Studies in Law degree program.
Mr. Reid was named as a Michigan Super Lawyers® Rising Star from 2015 to 2018, listed as a 2017 and 2018 Top Lawyer by DBusiness Magazine, and was recognized in the Oakland County Executive’s Elite 40 Under 40 Class of 2019. In 2014, Mr. Reid received the Oakland County Bar Association’s Distinguished Service Award for exceptional voluntary services benefitting the organization. He is admitted to practice before the federal and state courts of Michigan.
- Settled a $500,000+ sexual harassment and race discrimination claim demand for under $7,000;
- Dismissed a $500,000+ Notice of Assessment from the Unemployment Insurance Agency without any liability;
- Provided training and counseling to key employees in order to prevent unintentional violations of overlapping employment laws;
- Saved numerous clients thousands of dollars by drafting agreements in advance of an issue and resolving employment disputes without litigation; and
- Defended wage and hour audits and employment classification audits without any liability.
MICHIGAN STATE UNIVERSITY, Lansing, Michigan, Bachelor of Arts, cum laude, 2002
WAYNE STATE UNIVERSITY LAW SCHOOL, Detroit, Michigan, Juris Doctor, cum laude, 2005
State Bar of Michigan
- Labor and Employment Law Section Council (term ending 2018)
- Labor and Employment Law Section, Member of Communications and E-News Committee (January, 2014 - Present)
Oakland County Bar Association (OCBA)
- Former Chair of Employment Law Committee
Michigan Council of the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM)
Wayne State University
- Advisory Board Member: Wayne Law Master of Studies in Law degree program
Publications, Presentations and Podcasts
Social Media Law Video Series
How to Handle Negative Social Media Posts
Social Media Influencing Hiring Practices
Creating a Crisis Plan for Social Media Bombshells
How to Stay Current with Social Media Law